Parenting is a whirl wind- it is a constantly rotating tornado filled with emotions, tantrums, blood, sweat, tears, (and other bodily functions).
It is an ever changing terrain pushing you to the edge of a cliff (and often over) as you hang on for dear life- and yet still manage to somehow be able to appreciate the view.
It is other stuff to, mushy gushy stuff. You will never know a greater joy or a deeper love. You will watch your own heart leave your body and walk away without you.
Love. It is so much love.
Yet there is so much stuff that seems to be kept quiet, as if the universe is trying to do the ole bait and switch tactic on you that is revealed only as your tiny squishy baby is safely in your arms. People tend to write the mushy gushy, the picture perfect- and often leave out the frustrations and shear shock value that makes up parenthood.
In all seriousness though there is a great amount of humor to be found in this ride we call parenthood- and I sought out to find it.
I took to social media and asked a group of mothers to explain motherhood in 140 characters or less (because lets face it -who has time for any more writing than that?)
Below are 13 of the most hilarious answers…
1. Booty call gets a whole new meaning!- Chelsea
2. Motherhood is basically a synonym with snack B**ch.- Katie
3. Parenting is summed up as this- If it sucked that bad, people wouldn’t do it multiple times. If it was that fun, people wouldn’t get fixed!- Kristina
4. Ugh! WHY? HOW? WHEN? WHAT? Is it bedtime yet? It is 5:00 somewhere! – Emily
5. Exhausting- Penni
6. Parenting- Now you know why mama bear’s porridge was cold!- Rhiannon
7. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. – Heather
8. It is doing everything you spent your life proclaiming you would NEVER do!- Milda
9. I love you, but please stop touching me.- Shannon
10. Taking your precious time to wipe someone’s butt while barely having time to wipe your own. That is Parenting.- Jessica
11. Feeling like someone gave you LSD. Once they are teenagers you may want some LSD- check their rooms and you may find some. Then suddenly they are adults.- Samantha
12. Like walking through a funhouse…blindfolded. – Karleen
13. Parenting is a constant battle between “Don’t do that” and “You know what? Whatever.” – Kimberly
No matter how you describe it- one common theme seems to ring true- parenting is controlled chaos at best. You have to take the time to stop and enjoy the humor in the situation.
A laugh to keep from crying kind of thing.
It is basically madness anyway, if you think of it- it is the only job you can get without any qualifications or experience. You go through one of the most traumatizing moments of your life, are handed a tiny stranger, booted out the door and expected to keep it alive, (and like not raise a serial killer.)
So just keep on keeping on mamas- laugh don’t cry- and continue to find the humor in it all.
If you had to describe parenting in 140 characters or less- how would you?
Jenna is a former Early Childhood Educator who now spends her days chasing after her four rambunctious children all while pursuing a freelance writing career, guest posting, writing for the website Mommyish, and running her own blog. As a writer, she is passionate about bringing charisma and color to everything she writes. You can find out more about Jenna by visiting her website or by clicking the social media buttons below.